Monday, January 13, 2014

Books

I'd like to share a little about the books I've enjoyed recently:

Keeping Faith by Jodi Piccoult


This book is about a little girl from a non-Christian family, named Faith, who begins to see visions of a holy being and displaying stigmata. It's about how her and her family handle the enormous media and religious attention they receive because of her visions. I really enjoyed this story. It's nice to read a secular book that raises questions about faith. It leaves you with this question in mind: "Is there a God? Maybe - go find out for yourself."

Plain Truth by Jodi Piccoult


This books is about an Amish adolescent who is accused of murdering a newborn baby who was found dead in her family's barn. Although she denies having given birth, a simple medical exam reveals that the baby is indeed hers. I love reading about the Amish. I grew up in Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia and we often visited the Amish country on the weekend. Their lifestyle fascinates me. This book was an interesting legal drama fills with twists and turns. I devoured it in just a few days. But I must warn that the ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

Christy by Catherine Marshall


This was a reread for me. This is an awesome book (based on a true story) about a young woman who travels deep into the Appalachian mountains to teach in a one room school house. It's a great story about learning about another culture and trying to fit yourself into it. It's also a good love story. I'm sure I'll be rereading it again someday!

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham


I read this book every Christmas. You may have seen the movie "Christmas With the Kranks," which wasn't nearly as good. This is a short, easy read about a couple, who recently became empty-nesters, who decide to skip Christmas and go on a cruise. No tree, no presents, no Christmas parties, zip. Then on Christmas Eve, the day before they leave for their cruise, their daughter surprises them by returning home with her new fiancé. It's hilarious but also a touching reminder of how the quality time we spend with loved ones over the holidays is sort of worth all of the craziness.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien


I've loved the movies ever since they came out years ago, and finally decided to read the books. I have enjoyed it so much! I don't know why I've never read them, they are even better than the movies. I won't bother giving you a plot summary.

Next on my reading list: The Return of the King (of course), Longbourn by Jo Baker, and Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Any recommendation??

PS - I've started keeping track of my books and rating them on www.goodreads.com. You should join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment