Monday, August 23, 2010

Occupational Therapy

Graham and I went to his 4 month old checkup last Tuesday. The doctor was (again) surprised at his size! She said he's about the size of a 9 month old - 18.5 pounds, 27.75 inches. I brought to her attention some concerns I have about his hands (not opening his thumb and forefinger). She agreed and referred me to a physical therapist. We went to that appointment today. Turns out that for fine motor issues he needs to see an occupational therapist instead of pt. They were really nice and we're going back tomorrow to have a thorough evaluation.

I've been teaching for 5 years and I've always observed how sensitive and emotional parents are about their children, not that I judged them for that. I now, however, know exactly what that feels like! It's so hard not to get sensitive and defensive when someone is talking about your child. If and when I ever do go back to teaching I think that I will always remember how that feels, and be able to have more empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment