Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Books

I've been reading a ton this summer, as I usually do, and thought I would share those books which have stood out in my mind. 

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer


I first read Krakauer's book Into the Wild and really enjoyed it. I had heard and read that Into Thin Air was an even more extraordinary story. I like to stick with fiction but this story was more interesting and incredible than most fiction. Krakauer is a journalist who enjoys mountaineering and took a job writing about Mount Everest for Outdoor magazine. He joined a group led by professional guides. Their trip up the mountain would later be known as "The 1996 Everest Tragedy." A terrible storm and other unforeseen circumstances caused many in their group to die, including their guide. 

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer


The title is a mouthful, but this book is a gem. The entire book is written as letter between various characters. It takes places just after world war 2, on the island of Guernsey, which was one of the Channel Islands that was occupied by the Nazis. The UK was never invaded by the Germans, but you may not know that the Channel Islands were. This book is a unique look into life in a occupied country accompanied by an interesting fictional narrative.

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline


This book is similar to the Guernsey book in that it takes real historical events and intertwines them with a believable story. I loved this book. I had no idea that New York street children were rounded up, put on trains, and shipped out to the midwest where they were chosen for "adoption" in the early 1900's. This book also flip flops between this time period and another story taking place in the modern day, which I particularly enjoy. The author does an amazing job of paralleling and intertwining the two stories. 

Noteworthy authors:

Liane Moriarty. I honestly wish I could go back and read all of her books again for the first time. They are so good! Moriarty's books all take place in Australia, where she's from. The writing is just so clever and enjoyable. The characters are all modern-day, very realistic and funny. She's written six books and I've now read and enjoyed them all. My particular favorite is probably Three Wishes, which was her first novel.

John Grisham. Well, duh. But seriously. All of his books are so good. And right now I'm trying to read them all. My favorites are The Last Juror and The Testament. So far none of his books have disappointed me. Next on my list: Sycamore Row.

Any recommendations? 

2 comments:

  1. I love your book recommendations, Katie! Definitely adding these to my list. :) Currently I'm enjoying the Divergent series - I can't remember if you've read those or not? And believe it or not, Clay is the one who got me hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica I loved the Divergent books! I love that Clay enjoys reading too.

    ReplyDelete