Thursday, October 3, 2013

Book Review

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn



This book has been all the rage lately, and I wanted to see if it would live up to the hype. I think the reason it has been so popular is that it is a real page-turner. I often found myself staying up late to read the next chapter. But I certainly wouldn't read it again and I don't think I would really recommend it. The main reason for this is the (what I would call) inappropriate content. There is too much use of foul language, sex, and violence for my taste. It's a story about a man who comes home and discovers his wife is gone. He goes through the motions of filing a report and beginning to search. But then he discovers that all the evidence is pointing toward him - that he murdered his wife. However his wife has left behind clues that are making him question the entire disappearance. It's a bizarre, sad story with a frustrating ending. That being said, I couldn't seem to put it down! And I hear they're making a movie out of it...I think I'll skip out on that one.

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult



I LOVED this book. It was recommended to me by my teammate/friend Jill, who I'm learning has impeccable literary taste. This book was written by the author of "My Sister's Keeper." I haven't read any of her other books yet, but I do plan to now. The Storyteller is narrated by several different characters in the present day and in Nazi occupied Poland. World War II is one of my favorite time periods to read about, and although this story is fiction (which was sometimes hard to remember), it did not disappoint. The characters are realistic and the story will touch your heart. I highly recommend this one! Be aware, however, that there are some really sickening and brutal images about the holocaust within this story. 

I would love to hear what YOU have been reading lately that's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment