Thursday, July 25, 2013

Happenings

Here are some of the random experiences I've had in the last few weeks:

  • Day Trip to Jinja: As I mentioned before we took a day trip to Jinja to pick up Zoe our new puppy. Jinia is a very touristy town compared to Mbale. We saw lots of Mzungus (white people). There is a neat market where you can buy African souveniers like carvings, jewelry, etc. We ate lunch at a western style restaurant called "The Keep" where we enjoyed milkshakes and burgers with fries - a special treat. We also visited a western style coffee shop call "The Source" where you can order a cafe latte. Jinja is a fun town to visit that is about 2 hours away.

  • Day Hike to Sipi Falls: Our friends the Robinsons were taking a visitor of theirs to Sipi Falls and we decided to tag along. It was up a mountain about an hour away. We drove down to the falls until the road ended and then got out and hiked. I had Molly on my back and Chad had Graham on his shoulders. It was a pretty intense hike, but totally worth it when we got to the falls!

  • Saturday Sewing Ministry: This past Saturday I joined my teammate Jill to the women's sewing ministry. They have about 10 treadle machines that they were using to make uniforms for a Juvenal prison. They also often make blankets and other items for the poor. There were several women hand sewing (I joined them) and a few cutting fabric. Later we had a light lunch of fresh mandazi (fried dough) and a short devotional. I enjoyed it very much and hope to attend as much as I can. I hope to learn how to sew with a treadle machine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment