Monday, December 3, 2012

Book Review

I have been doing a lot of reading lately during all those late night nursing sessions! My sweet Gammy recently loaned me Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis.


Having heard a lot about it, I've been wanting to read this for a long time. The author decided to spend a year between high school and college working in an orphanage in Uganda. One year turned into a lifetime commitment of helping children, the sick, poor, and elderly. She started a non-profit organization called Amazima which provides poor children with food, education, and medical care. She also fosters (and is in the process of adopting) 13 orphan girls! The things that God has accomplished through Katie's willingness to serve are truly unbelievable, and she is only 23 years old!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and finished it in just a few days. It includes a lot of portions of the journal she has kept since living in Uganda. I have a special interest in this topic, of course, since Katie resides in the country we will be moving to next year, only a couple of hours away from where I will be living. I highly recommend this book. It is so encouraging to see that God still works in amazing ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment