Sunday, March 10, 2013

Book Review

I have been a huge fan of Kate Morton ever since my mom gave me a copy of The Distant Hours. I loved it! I like to think that I've read a lot of books, but I have never read such an intricate story web. Kate likes to tell stories from the perspectives of several different characters in different time periods. And then in the end ties it all together in a way that you couldn't have imagined. When I finished the distant hours I immediately checked her other two books out from the library: The Forgotten Garden and The House at Riverton. They were both great reads!

*Note: if you like Downton Abbey, you would probably enjoy The House at Riverton. It takes place in a similar setting. But its a great murder mystery!

So I have been anxiously awaiting the release of Kate Morton's latest book: The Secret Keeper


I secured a copy, and in my (very limited) free time I've been able to read it over the past several weeks. LOVED IT!! I am especially fascinated with World War II history and much of this book takes place in WWII London (exciting!). But I am getting ahead of myself...

At the beginning the book's main character, Laurel, witnesses her mother (whom she loves dearly) murder a strange man. This terrifying event happens in the 1960's when Laurel was a teenager. Fast forward to 2011 and Laurel has decided (as her mother is dying) to find out what happened that day. Who was that man and why would her mother be scared enough of him to kill? We also learn the story of Laurel's mother, Dorothy, living as a young woman in WWII London. 

The story skips around between 1941, the 1961, and 2011. But not in a way that is jarring. Each of the stories is truly interesting and fun to come back to. The characters are realistic, possessing both likable and unlikable characteristics (as I've found most of Kate Morton's characters to be). And as I expected, the story was brought to a very satisfying finish, tying all the story lines together in an unexpected way. I was not disappointed. 

If you like to read fiction, I recommend checking out Kate Morton!

No comments:

Post a Comment