Sunday, June 30, 2013

We're Here!

Wow, I don't even know where to start! So much has happened in the 5 days. Last Wednesday I did one of the hardest things I've ever done and said goodbye to my family, knowing I would not see them face to face for probably a year. Not to even mention the painful goodbyes to my friends and church family. My heart is still breaking over the implications of it all. But through it all, God continues to remind me that he is trustworthy, he is faithful, and he has a plan for my life.

I've been dreading for months the 2 longs flights and long layover that are necessary to get to Uganda. I've been dreading it because we have a 3 year old and a 7 month old! Truth be told, it wasn't as bad as I had feared. The kids slept fairly well, especially Molly who really is a trooper. We rested in a hotel during our 12 hour London layover. When we finally arrived in Entebbe, we were whipped. Especially after successfully retrieving all 13 pieces of luggage, and unsuccessfully searching for our double stroller. I'd be shocked if we ever see it again!

I was so so happy to see the Robinson's, our new teammates who came to pick us up. The next 24 hours were basically a blur that we don't remember well, but I do remember the way our teammates selflessly thought of everything we would need. We are staying temporarily in a guesthouse that is on the Robinson's property. It is small but very comfortable and we are happy to stay here for the next few weeks. We have seen our house, the one we will live in permanently. We are going to have it painted and make some repairs so that when our container arrives with all of our stuff, we can move in. I can't wait!

Our kids have had really bad jetlag, waking up at 1 or 2 in the morning and then wanting to sleep all afternoon. We are ready to be out of the "we just got here" stage but that can't happen until we get more sleep. Graham is really happy here so far. He loves playing with the missionary kids and jumping on the Robinson's trampoline. Some things like sleeping under a mosquito net will take some getting used to. We are so proud of him.

We are so thankful for our teammates. I had not actually met any of them them before, but they are so kind and considerate. They have provided us with delicious meals and lots of encouragement. We are really missing our families, but we are really very excited to be here  God's timing was perfect!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad things have gone so smoothly for you! Hopefully it's a trend that continues. :)

    ReplyDelete